Tuesday, April 10

Identity

I still remember seeing this episode of SVU. I think it was last summer when all USA network did was have marathons of SVU, Monk, and House. I was particularly impressed with how well the writers managed to come up with such a completely fucked up case with a villain so contemptable and vile that it could only exist in the realm of fiction. Unfortunately, however, I just discovered that it is, in fact, based entirely on the true story of David / Brenda / Bruce Reimer and his twin Brian. (My roommate is reading David's biography for his child development class.) They ended the episode rather apruptly as SVU usually does after unequivocatingly aprehending the culprit, but the real ending to the story is actually much more tragic. This is quite possibly the saddest story I've ever heard.

No comments: