Saturday, September 4

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Delmar Gardens

I thought I'd start out today's blog with a running story. I was nearing the end of my 4 mile run through a golf course. There was a golf cart on a small path perpendicular to the one I was running on. A seemingly kindly old man and his wife were just sitting in th cart. Kinda weird. As I run by the cart, the old guy starts it up and revs the engine. Then he pulls out and starts chasing me. Trying not to be run over by a senior citizen in a golf cart was enough motivation for me to run faster than usual, and I narrowly escaped doom as the cart smashed against the far end of the rock wall of the cavernous hallway where I pilfered the Effegy of Cthulu, triggering a classic old-man-gonna-run-ya-down-with-a-slow-moving-vehicle-style booby trap.

Aside from my cross country practice, I didn't do much else today. I ate lunch and then slept til 4. So that was my day.

I need to audioblog sometime soon. Maybe I'll get on that tonight.

Oh yes and about my vacation. I don't remember where I left off, but I'll just start at Canada which was cold and rainy most of the time. We went horse-back riding one day and I was brilliant enough to bring my cell phone along without putting it on silent. Then Toots called me when we were at the highest point of a very steep ridge and my horse went berserk. I mangaged to hang up on him in time to calm down the horse before I was launched down a grassy ski slope. And apparently they gave me the wildest horse they had available. The thing didn't obey a single command. It nearly tore my leg off going around a tree, and it wouldn't stop eating weeds which I began to hope were poisonous. I think I'd've liked the experience much more if we'd gone faster than a mere trot.

Canda also has some really great candy. Nestle for some reason doesn't release its best products in the U.S. My personal favorite was Nestle Smarties which are not to be confused with the sugar things in the plastic wrappers. They're basically M&M's, but they're much bigger, more colorful, and better tasting. Hershey's chocolate pales in comparison to Nestle's. h3r5h3yz pwnz0rd! M&M's are great, but Smarties are just so much better. And they came up with a chocolate bar filled with their candies long before M&M's which JUST released such a bar of goodness. I meant to bring some home for everyone to try, but I ate them so customs wouldn't take them. Sorry.

|473r.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You look like Cameron from Ferris Beuler's Day Off

Anonymous said...

hahahaha...Agreed.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You have a high squeaky voice, like a piglet or a mouse.

Anonymous said...

hahahaha...Agreed.

Peter said...

what are going on! destroy that enemy! okay!

DELETED!!!!

Anonymous said...

If you find yourself near an explosion, stand where you are and try to absorb as much of the radiation as possible. After 5 minutes and 12 seconds, however, you may become sterile . After exposure to radiation it is important to consider that you may have mutated to gigantic dimensions: watch your head.

Anonymous said...

Timothy Leary (October 22, 1920 - May 31, 1996) was an American writer, psychologist, and drug campaigner. He is most famous as a proponent of the therapeutic and spiritual benefits of LSD. During the 1960s, he coined and popularized the catch phrase "Turn on, tune in, drop out."

Dr. Leary was born in Springfield, Massachusetts to a leading New England family. Leary studied for a brief time at the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts, but reacted badly to the strict training at the Jesuit institution. He also attended West Point for a time but dropped out after 18 months. He earned a bachelor's degree in psychology at the University of Alabama in 1943. He eventually got a Ph.D. in psychology at the University of California, Berkeley in 1950. He went on to become an assistant professor at Berkeley (1950-1955), a director of research at the Kaiser Foundation (1955-1958), and a lecturer in psychology at Harvard University (1959-1963). Leary later described these years disparagingly, writing that he had been "an anonymous institutional employee who drove to work each morning in a long line of commuter cars and drove home each night and drank martinis .... like several million, middle-class, liberal, intellectual robots."

While on vacation in Mexico, he tried hallucinogenic psilocybin-bearing mushrooms while participating in a Native American religious ritual, an experience that would vastly alter the course of his life. Upon his return to Harvard in 1960, Leary and his associates, notably Dr. Richard Alpert, began conducting research into the effects of psilocybin and later LSD with graduate students.