Friday, March 24

Those Whiney Republicans

When I was in preschool/kindergarten, I was a pretty chill kid. I liked to explore and try new things. I remember during recess going out into the few pines behind the school, which at the time seemed like an enormous forest, playing in the toy house, climbing on the jungle gym, and going on adventures I, sadly, have very little recollection of. When it was time to come back in we'd have grahm crackers and milk or juice for snack. I think jello was available too, but I never liked its consistency and I think I even threw up once after eating it. After adjusting to not being at home any more, I was generally obedient to what our teachers told us to do. I did all my little projects on time, put things back where they belonged, listened during reading half hour (or whatever children's attention spans were back then), and was very excited that I could read on my own when it was time for us to do our own reading. Granted there weren't more than 10 words to a page, but it seemed, like the forest, to be a daunting task at the time.

In a nut-shell, I did what I was told, while at the same time exploring the world and having a good time. My brother on the other hand, was much the opposite. I don't remember anything specific since we weren't in the same class but from what I remember hearing about him, he liked to cause trouble in his class and got in no few arguments with his classmates. He was always very aggressive at home and at school.

Enter this study.
"In the 1960s Jack Block and his wife and fellow professor Jeanne Block (now deceased) began tracking more than 100 nursery school kids as part of a general study of personality...

A few decades later, Block followed up with more surveys, looking again at personality, and this time at politics, too. The whiny kids tended to grow up conservative, and turned into rigid young adults who hewed closely to traditional gender roles and were uncomfortable with ambiguity.

The confident kids turned out liberal and were still hanging loose, turning into bright, non-conforming adults with wide interests. The girls were still outgoing, but the young men tended to turn a little introspective."


Guess which one of us is the homophobic, Islamophobic, sexist, chauvenistic conservative?

No comments: