Monday, March 6

Mouse Trap


I do not like mice. I'm just gonna throw that out there now. Not your garden variety house mouse. I'm talking compy mice. It's one of the many reasons I prefer laptops. The trackpad is right there. You don't need to lift your hands from the playing field so to speak. With a mouse, you lose tactile contact with the keyboard and have to focus an entire hand's attention in an entirely different region. It's really tremendously inconvenient if you think about it. And I have. At length.

Anyway, I got back to St. Louis a few days ago and lo and behold, my family has finally given up on our old laser mouse. He was dying and had to be put down. The new mouse has a pimple, but that's actually part of the reason why I want to steal him and use him at school. Mighty Mouse kicks so much ass. I heard about him months ago when he was first let out of the cage, but I can't even remember the last time I went in an apple store for kicks. Last time I was there I bought my ipod after christmas and it was so busy there they had to siphon people off at the door. The line went half way down the mall. So I'd never used Mighty Mouse until, basically, now. And it's amazing.



The scroll ball's function is pretty obvious, but when you click the scrollball you have easy acess to Dashboard widgets. That and the fact that squeezing the sidebuttons gives you access to Exposé (which reveals all open windows in miniaturized form) totally make up for the fact that I don't have a hand on the keyboard at all times. I've already changed the way I organize my windows to suit mighty mouse's superior functionality. It's truley a marvelous innovation.

Oh and I forgot to mention that there are actually two touch-sensitive buttons concealed in a single shell. PC users can't complain about mac's single button any more and Mac users can gloat about their mouse's continued elegance and utility.

No comments: