Friday, December 22

Kinda Bad Day

So today was supposed to be a good day. I went to the gym (which was apparently open even though winter break has begun). That made me very happy. After relaxing for a bit in my room I decided I'd get in the xmas spirit of trying to buy just the right gift for just the right person. I took the T out to Espresso Royale and read another chapter of Atlas Shrugged. I'm still very early in the book, but I love it. I'm kind of scared though. One of the characters seems to have the exact same thought processes I do. I won't say who just yet because I'm not sure what horrible fate awaits him.

After my delicious bagel sandwich, I headed over to Barnes and Noble. As I was poking around for fun things I get a phone call from a boston number I'd never seen before. I picked up. It was my manager. She probably wanted me to cover for someone who hadn't been able to come in today. I was ready to tell her I'd could be in an hour or two when she asked where I was and why I wasn't there. I offered a hurried apology and said I'd be in as soon as I could while running down the escalator. I foolishly thought I could make it to work that day by taking the T. Rule number 1 in Boston is never to rely on the T when you need it. I remembered this only after I'd paid $5 for a T pass. And wasted $1.25 on a T ride. Realizing the inefficiency of this decision, I ran back upstairs and stood around on a street corner hailing every cab that went by until one finally picked me up. I've decided cab drivers are some of my favorite people in the world, but only when they're on your side. I think they must have lobbied for the ability to break any and every road rule. I can't remember one red light that he obeyed unless a car in front of him had stopped. He took me to my dorm and waited while I changed into my work shirt. As we pulled up to the mall, he told me he didn't take credit or debit cards. My opinion of him briefly grew to intense hatred. I ran inside to an ATM, pulled out more than enough for the fare, ran back out and told him to keep the change. As I ran back in, the security guard looked at me like he'd seen me steal a $5000 watch from Mont Blanc. "Hey slow down there. Why were you running?" I jogged by him acknowledging he'd spoken to me only by muttering "late for work." I'm pretty sure I heard one of my coworkers say I looked like a heroine junkie when I walked in.

The situation got much better when I went on my (reduced) break to get some food. I fished my wallet out of my pocket and discovered I couldn't pay for the sandwich I'd just ordered because my card was not there. Bad news indeed. I ordered a latte with the last cash I had in my wallet and went over to the bank to see if they'd found it. I knew I'd left it in an ATM there; that was the last time I'd used it. My break ended too soon and I didn't get to talk to anyone there but I did manage to call my parents one of whom was able to cancel the card. Minor crisis slightly averted. The rest of my day was entirely word related and mostly uneventful. I'm going to go shower my track marks away. Nighty night.

No comments: