Sunday, December 24

Futz Said Peter

I'm hoping my shitty week is officially over. After the unfortunate events recounted in my previous post, even worse circumstances came to light just the next day. I had just left the bank asking that they send me a new card. I called home to thank my parents for canceling the card and updating them on the situation. I told my dad I'd see him tomorrow night at 9. He went to travelocity's website to check to verify the arrival time, but my break was about to end so I told him to call me if something came up. I went back to work and my phone rang at least 4 times. My dad's unusually persistent when he wants to contact someone. It seems strange since he never answers his phone when anyone calls him.

The phone calls stopped and about five minutes later, as I walked by the register at the back of the store, one of my coworkers told me I had a phone call from American Airlines. That couldn't be good news. My manager said it sounded pretty important and that I'd better take it. I walked to the back room and picked up line 1. I was delighted to find out it wasn't American Airlines but my manipulative mother bearing a message from the bastards at AA. Turns out they reserve the right to cancel flights and move your flight time if they can't book enough tickets. It also turns out they reserve the right to inform people of this reserved right until the day before they plan on leaving. My flight, originally leaving at 7, was moved to 3. I was scheduled to leave work at 1. Not even with the most reckless cab driver in Boston could I have made it to the airport in time to get my ticket and board (especially without my ATM card.)

My manager walked in as I finished the phone call. He caught the tail end of the conversation which I realized left him a little puzzled since I was panicked about something "they" had done. "That was my mother. She said they just moved up my flight four hours," I said.
After I explained the situation, he said he didn't want anyone to miss xmas so he'd let me work from 7 to 11 instead. The only problem with that was that I had exactly $14 and some change left to my name and the bank was closed. I ended up taking a cab to work. This cab driver was very amicable and as law-abiding as his predecessor. Unfortunately he charged 4 times what the other guy did. Luckily when I arrived at work, I still had a few dollars left. The work day dragged on for far too long, but I did leave with plenty of time to make it to the airport. On the T ride over my nose started bleeding. It was the most random nosebleed I've ever had. I used the back of my hand to press on my the bloody nostril. (I never use the palm. That has far too much interaction with far too many things. Especially since I came from work, I did not want to shove all those germs up there.) Anyway, when I walked into the airport, I couldn't really hold my nose any more so I walked in with blood on my knuckles and more blood streaming down my face. I don't think I ever looked more like Tyler Durden. The looks on their faces were priceless.

No comments: