Tuesday, November 9

Margaret, Ariel and other trivial pursuits

What. A. Day. First of all, I should mention that it is Block "Head" Week meaning that Tuesday and Wednesday are block schedules. 90ish minute classes from hell. Today really wasn't that bad. Calculus flew by and Engrish wasn't terrible although I'm still not sure if I like or understand "The Great Gatsby" which is too bad because I have to write an essay in a few days. Then during anatomy our teacher "acquired" a cow leg (raw) from one of my fellow students who ironically enough does not live in Illinois. I'm still not sure what a Chesterfieldian was doing with severed cow limbs, but I won't ask questions, because he obviously has weapons of mass destruction in his parlor. Anyways, my teacher with the assistance of the lovely Mr. Kuensting used a hack saw to open up the knee cavity. The smell was beyond foul, and I'm pretty sure there's enough bone dust in my lungs to make a small zen garden in my kitchen sink. It's always an adventure in that class.

After anatomy I spent/wasted a free period in the computer lab watching flash toons and making fun of Bill. Someone had hooked up Halo 2 to the TV in the lab. I honestly don't understand that game's appeal or for that matter the appeal of any first person shooter. The only differences between any two shooters are 1) guns 2) characters 3) graphics and 4) guns. I am not at all a fan of the genre (mainly because I'm just crap-ass terrible at FPSs), but are graphical upgrades really important for shooters? I mean do you have time to stare in awe at spectacular computer generated landscapes when you have a gattling/laser/plasma/water/poo rifle aimed at your character's skull? And how many different colored, multi-functional weapons do you need to be happy with a game?

I'm getting side-tracked; back to the important stuff. After school I spent a few hours in the broadcast room talking with the Byrne, Brandon, and Jared about the case they're trying in their politics class. Mr. O came in at some point and formed their entire case for the defendent so chances are they'll do well. After a few hours of accomplishing little more than a 1 minute video of us studying for WorldQuest to the tune of "Let's Get Retarded," the five of us went to SLU for the trivia contest. We were pretty much the only team that wasn't taking it seriously. At all. We spent the free dinner (authenticky tasting pizza! without napkins!) thinking of a team name. "The Home of the Cretins", "The Well Hungarians", and "The Falafel Factor: Stalking Points Memo" were all suggested and eventually used on the answer sheets. Last year, our team (without me; I was 73h n00b this year) changed our team name from SLUH, to St. Louis U. High to U High on the answer sheets and as a result, a new rule was enforced this year. All participants had to write out the full name of their high school (they gave us as an example) to end confusion and prevent accusations of cretinaity.

Anyways, we did rather poorly on the trivia itself but we entertained the judges, runners, opponents and of course ourselves by writing the alternate team names and unusual comments next to our school name. I was made the official "scribe" of the team and just to piss off the judges I dotted all the "i's" (including the capitals!) with cute little hearts on one of the answer sheets. Brandon wrote "The Well Hungarians" on another and I wasn't able to erase it before the runner snatched it up so yeah our school looks very classy right now. We may have lost (we estimate that we came in 5thish with a score of 45 out of 70), but it was so much fun and well worth the trip.

We drank about $10 worth of soda together so I doubt any of us will be getting much sleep tonight. I'm gonna go waste time plotting my revenge against Fleaboy.

l473r.

2 comments:

Peter said...

Click on the picture of Shakespeare on CB. You too will come to know and love Bill.

Fleaboy knows why he must die. That's all that matters.

Peter said...

okay (bill IS god! = O)