Friday, June 22

S-M-R-T

Generally birth order theories are just bad science, but I decided I'd pull a Templeton Foundation and post this story because it makes me looks smarter. (Not that I had much in the way of competition.) Anyway, apparently the Norwegians have found that first-borns are the smartest. They don't say why, but that really doesn't matter. I personally won't waste my immense brain power on such trivial matters. I have the world's problems to solve. Or mine in the meantime.

Also, I think the BBC should have censored this part of the story: "A Norwegian team found first born children and those who had lost elder siblings and had hence become the eldest, scored higher on intelligence." First of all, obviously if the smartest is dead, the next smartest is technically the smartest. And what's an envious not-quite-as-smart younger sibling to do about it? Kill their big brother / sister! Those Norwegians may be all about fratricide, but I have my reservations about most or all "-cides".

No comments: