Thursday, March 1

Life In Cartoon Motion

Mika - Life in Cartoon Motion


You absolutely must listen to this album before you die. It's easily one of the best albums I've ever heard. I should probably warn you that it's by British pop artist Mika. Don't let that turn you off to it though. This isn't at all the pop music we've gotten used to in the States. This is what pop music should be. Stylistically, it's kind of a mix of the Beatles' poppier songs, Queen, The Scissor Sisters, and well, Mika who certainly deserves some credit for his own brand of subtly sophisticated pop music. (He claims to be influenced also by Beck, Rufus and Elton. That last one's dead on.)

Seriously though, if you're ever in a bad mood, pop in this CD. After the first track (Grace Kelly - youtube) you will feel like you've just taken a hit of purest ecstasy. Each song is magnificent, which I've found is quite a rare. (Maybe it's just me but even for artists I really like, there's usually a few kick-ass songs, and the rest are mediochre at best.) Please. Do yourself a favor. Buy this album.

2 comments:

Fleaboy of the Night said...

I really like that a lot. I can see in Elton John in that for sure. He moves in a distinct manner that reminds me of Rocky Horror's Dr. Franknfurter.

He kind of reminds me of that one song that came out a few years ago by a band who was supposed to be the next great thing and their song was "I believe in a thing called love", but for the life of me i can't remember the bands name.

Peter said...

This song by Darkness perhaps? I've never heard of them but I tend to be a little out of the loop on the american pop / rock scene. Then again, it was also number 2 in the UK so I guess I'm just totally out of it.

Anyway, if I weren't in a library right now I'd listen to the song and have a more insightful comment to make. But I do not.